October 3, 2007

The PM's new citizenship test

Our YouTube on the "un-Australian koala" was shown on most TV channels across Australia on Monday (see below). I think that the Democrats have done a good job of highlighting the absurdity of the Prime Minister's new citizenship test. I had an opinion piece published in the Geelong Advertiser about it today:

Patriotism, last refuge of ...

The prime minister's citizenship test, introduced this Monday, is the new Aussie cringe. It's all about mateship, explorers, diggers and the 'fair go'. Women barely rate a mention, and the contribution of indigenous Australians to our national character is disgracefully under-acknowledged.

John Howard's version of Australian history is masculine, conservative and heavily focused on war. But this citizenship test is more than mere jingoistic propaganda. It's an assault on democracy. We'll be denying people citizenship, and therefore the right to vote, because they're unable to memorise some pretty obscure and irrelevant facts.

And I bet even John Howard would struggle to answer some of the questions. I'm talking about the ones on 'Australian values'. For example, is freedom of religion and secular government a value that's important in modern Australia? Surely not. After all, it wasn't long ago that the PM rose in Parliament to proclaim Australia a Christian nation and Christianity the greatest force for good.

So perhaps equality under the law is an Australian value? Nope. Not so long as 58 federal laws deny same-sex couples the same financial and work-related entitlements as heterosexual couples.

Well, what about peacefulness? That doesn't seem right considering Mr Howard sent our troops to an illegal war in Iraq and the Government spends more money on defence than education. The answer, then, must be tolerance, mutual respect and compassion for those in need. But what about the fact we lock up refugees or send them to small island countries for offshore processing? This question has me stumped. And I'm sure it would confuse the prime minister, too.

According to Becoming an Australian Citizen - the information booklet given to people to prepare them for the test - all of these are Australian values. That must make our matey prime minister un-Australian - because he doesn't seem to uphold any of them. But, luckily for him, he can fail some of the questions but still pass the test. I'm sure he knows a lot of useless facts about symbols, national days and so on.

A true patriot like Mr Howard would certainly know, for example, that South Australia has 13 wine regions and Australia is 32 times the size of the United Kingdom. He would also know the Australian flag was first flown on September 3, 1901, and that Wattle Day is celebrated on September 1 each year. So perhaps he wouldn't flunk the test after all.

But my underlying argument remains intact: one's ability to memorise a few stupid facts about Australia isn't a good measure of one's suitability for citizenship. Australia will be worse off because of this test, which will deny citizenship to many good-hearted, hard-working, committed people.

If we really are home of the 'fair go' and the land of opportunity, then we surely don't need this ludicrous citizenship test. It flies in the face of the very values that it claims we uphold.


Also, The Age recently published a column in their Metro section on my anti-nuclear work in Africa earlier this year. I'm now on the management committee for the International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons, which is a fantastic new grassroots campaign to encourage governments to negotiate a treaty banning nuclear weapons. I wish our government would get involved in the fight, but it has said no. Democrats leader Lyn Allison has vowed to maintain the pressure.

My life so far

Melbourne University law student Tim Wright, 22, recently spent five months in Africa encouraging governments to ratify the African Nuclear-Weapon-Free Zone Treaty.

You were volunteering for the International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons. How did you get involved?

An organisation by the name of International Physicians for the Prevention of Nuclear War started this campaign to abolish nuclear weapons. It began in Australia because we managed to secure the funding for it.

I did a six-week internship with the Australian affiliate of the Medical Association for Prevention of War after I finished university classes last year and it was an inspiring experience. At the end of that I decided that I would go to Africa and make a difference by getting countries to ratify the African Nuclear-Weapon-Free Zone Treaty.

Had you travelled much before this?

I travelled a lot with my family growing up and also just with my dad. We travelled mainly through Asia and a lot of those holidays were off the beaten track.

When I finished school I travelled through South America and Central America. I also lived in Russia for half a year on an exchange. I think I've been to about 60 countries now.

You met government officials and community leaders in 12 African countries. How was that experience?

It was quite incredible. We hear so much about African leaders and so it was interesting to meet some of them and try to psychoanalyse them. They're all incredibly jovial. You read about them in the media and learn of some of the terrible things that they have done and it's almost hard to believe.

I didn't meet any presidents. I met foreign ministers and defence ministers. I was 21 and looked young so they were quite taken aback but they did take me seriously.
It was nerve-racking in the beginning. My first high-level meeting was in Swaziland where I met the defence minister who doubled as the foreign minister. That was very intimidating. I went there expecting a really flashy building with lots of security but it was very casual. He was quite receptive to my ideas but the interview was cut short when the King of Swaziland called and beckoned him to the royal palace. He was whisked away in a black Mercedes.

What were your interests when you were growing up?

I was always politically interested but not always politically active. I grew up in Barwon Heads and went to school in Drysdale, just outside Geelong.

It was hard at school to do anything. I tried to begin a debating team but that was a flop. The only debating system that seemed to exist was among private schools and I went to a public school. I started a recycling program at school and I started up a student newsletter but it was always me having to show a lot of initiative rather than systems already being in place.

I started to become politically active at university.

Describe your family.

My mother is a teacher. My dad worked for the government for quite a number of years but he is now a photographer. He always had his camera out on our holidays. Now he's doing something he loves. I have a sister who has the travel bug. She has been away travelling for two years with her husband.

My sister and my parents aren't politically active. They laugh at some of the things I do, but they like it. Mum worries when I go overseas. Dad doesn't worry, he loves it. I think he wishes that I would take him along. He loves to look at my photos.

Do you work?

I have put university on hold this year and I'll return to that in February. At the moment I'm working for Australian Democrats leader Senator Lyn Allison. We're all in pre-election campaign mode. I've been working on peace-related issues with her. One of the main ones has been cluster bombs, which is another issue I'm really passionate about. Almost half the cluster munition victims are young children because they mistake the unexploded munitions for toys and pick them up. If they don't die, they might lose limbs or experience severe burns.

What are your hopes for your own future?

I'm running for Parliament in this election - I'm running as an Australian Democrats candidate for the seat of Melbourne. We can achieve a lot if we're represented in the Parliament so I'd like to carry my work forward there. If I'm not elected, I'd like to run again for the Senate.

I don't know that I like the idea of being a career politician but I would like to be a politician for some amount of time and then perhaps move to a career with the United Nations.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a star! well done Tim.. all your work is doing such fantastic things for Australia.

Laura